What is the difference between United Way of Kennebec Valley, Other local United Ways and United Way Worldwide?
- Although part of a global movement, United Way of Kennebec Valley is an independent nonprofit organization serving all towns in Kennebec County. We pay a small amount of dues to United Way Worldwide, for which we receive membership as a United Way organization and other benefits such as branding, trainings and advertising. We operate autonomously, with our own local board, to address the specific needs of the Kennebec Valley area. We also have the ability to draw on the best ideas from United Ways around the country.
What is your overhead?
- United Way of Kennebec Valley’s “overhead” administrative expense is 8%, based on our FY2020 IRS Form 990. 92% of your gift directly funds our programs/initiatives and associated costs. For nonprofits, the Better Business Bureau suggests that no more than 35% be expended on overhead.
- We keep our expenses low through a commitment to organizational efficiency; a high level of volunteer participation; a small, hardworking staff; in-kind services provided by community members and our Board of Directors; and responsible investments.
What is 211?
- 211 Maine is an easy-to-remember, toll-free helpline that connects people with important community services. It includes a statewide directory of thousands of resources in Maine. 211 provides valuable information for community planning and also emergency operations during natural and other disasters. 211 also provides 24/7 texting services.
Can I make a contribution to my favorite nonprofit through the United Way of Kennebec Valley campaign?
- Yes. You can designate your gift to any 501(c)3 organization of your choice by writing the name and address of the organization on your pledge/contribution form. A minimum gift of $25 per nonprofit is required to do so. Giving through United Way reduces costly and time-consuming fundraising efforts for local nonprofits so that their time can be spent helping community members.
How can my nonprofit receive a grant or funding from United Way?
- We invest in top-performing local nonprofits and programs that contribute to our mission. To be eligible, your program must be aligned with one or more of our focus areas and serve people in Kennebec County. Your organization may apply during our annual Community Investment Process. For more information, please contact us at 207-626-3400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I get information about my contribution?
- Email email@example.com