What is 211?
- 211 Maine is an easy-to-remember, toll-free helpline that connects people with important community services. It includes a statewide directory of over 8,000 resources in Maine. 211 provides valuable information for community planning and also emergency operations during natural and other disasters. As of 2017, 211 also provides 24/7 texting services.
What is the difference between United Way of Kennebec Valley, Other local United Ways and United Way Worldwide?
- Although part of a global movement, United Way of Kennebec Valley is an independent nonprofit organization serving 19 communities in Kennebec Valley. We pay a small amount of dues to United Way Worldwide, for which we receive membership as a United Way organization and other benefits such as branding, trainings and NFL advertising. We operate autonomously with the ability to address the specific needs of the Kennebec Valley area, while having the ability to draw on the best ideas from United Ways around the country.
Can I make a contribution to my favorite nonprofit through the United Way of Kennebec Valley campaign?
- Yes. You can make a contribution to any 501(c)3 organization of your choice by writing the name and address of the organization on your pledge/contribution form. A minimum gift of $25 per nonprofit is required to do so. Giving through United Way reduces costly and time-consuming fundraising efforts for local nonprofits so that their time can be spent helping community members.
How can I get information about my contribution?
- Contact Wendy at 207-626-3400 or email email@example.com.
What is your overhead?
- United Way of Kennebec Valley’s “overhead” expense ratio is 8%, based on our FY2018 IRS Form 990. 92% of your gift directly funds our programs and initiatives. For nonprofits, the Better Business Bureau suggest this overhead ratio be no more than 35% of each gift.
- We keep our expenses low through a commitment to organizational efficiency; a high level of volunteer participation; a small, hardworking staff; in-kind services provided by community members and our Board of Directors; and responsible investments.
How can my nonprofit receive a grant or funding from United Way?
- Through our Kennebec Valley Community Fund, we invest in top-performing local programs that contribute to our mission. To be eligible, you organization/program must be aligned with our focus areas and serve the 21 communities in the Kennebec Valley area. You may apply to become a partner program anytime between December 1 and February 1. Your organization will be considered during our allocations process. For more information, please contact us at 207-626-3400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.